Monday, June 27, 2005

Clinic Notes: Do you need a lawyer?

As I mentioned in a previous post I am convinced that children with autism and other neuropsychological disorders can be effectively treated by a team approach. For care givers the challenge then becomes getting these services delivered to their child after age 3.
In many school systems around the country parents have gone to court to force the school system to pay for ABA and other services. In some cases the school system has agreed to pay for services following a directive to do so by the court and in other school systems the court's descision has been apealed. The higher courts have not yet ruled.
If you live in a school system that has not been sued I think it is best to try and work with the school system cooperatively. Do not sign the IEP though until you are satisfied. If you cannot get services for your child then consider hiring a lawyer who specializes in disability claims. Dr. Brown

No comments: