Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Clinic Notes: Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy and Autism

On my website and in my clinic I recommend that parents of children with autism seek help from multiple professionals such as Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, sometimes Physical Therapists, and Pediatric Neurologists in addition to the psychological services that I provide. And many parents follow my advice. Now I hear that some mothers of children with autism, so far none who come to my clinic, have been accused of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy (MSBP). In MSBP mothers seek excessive medical care, sometimes for a disease they have caused or fabricated, and the multiple treatments may threaten or actually harm the child. Mothers accused of MSBP often have their children taken away from them by the court and now there is at least one case in court where a mother of a child with autism is being accused of MSBP and is in danger of having her child taken away from her. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

No comments: